I know, it’s not an original idea, cooking recipes inspired by movies. Last night I was watching “The Godfather” and although it’s considered a cult movie (7 Oscars), well… really didn’t like it. Beside that part where a friend of Micheal explains him how to prepare meatballs sauce 🙂 Well, I was inspired and the night after we had that for dinner.
HOW TO PREPARE HOMEMADE MEATBALLS 🙂
Now, I want to be extremely clear about spaghetti meatballs: it’s a very old fashion Italian cooking style. You will not find them in any restaurants in Italy, not even what are called “trattoria”, families restaurant (more like pub style food), It’s more a family meal, sometimes my grandmother would prepare meatballs to eat with fresh pasta (orecchiette).
So, here you are: my personal recipe for meatball and tomato sauce ( here the recipe) that goes with them.
SPAGHETTI MEATBALLS: just a great classic….recipeCourse: Main, AppetizersCuisine: ItalianDifficulty:
This recipes will make 24 meatballs 🙂
500 lean beef mince
2 garlic cloves, mince
50gr bread crumbs
50gr Parmesan, grated
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Pinch of nutmeg
1 egg (works as binder)
Tomato sauce previously prepared (see here the recipe)
2 litres vegetable oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Once mixed, start shaping your meatballs, trying to keep the same size for all.
- In a sauce pan, start heating the oil. To check if it reached the right temp, cook a small quantity of meat and see if start sizzling. If not, oil needs more time to heat up.
- Start frying your meatballs, few at time.
- With a skimmer (or spider ladle), remove the cooked meatballs and put them on a kitchen paper which will absorb the excess of oil.
- Heat up your tomato sauce, add the meatballs and, as in the movie, some red wine and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 30 minutes. Prepare your spaghetti following the instructions on the packaging and serve HOT!
- Red wine, perfect combination: Primitivo